My 32nd birthday is dead ahead…September 4th to be exact. Every year as my birthday closes in, I begin to reflect on the previous year. Not sure why I do this on my birthday and not New Years, as most people do, but I just do.
Lots of things have happened over the past year from 9/4/08 – 9/4/09:
- My first novel was published in November 08.
- Several short stories were published during this time.
- One of my stories was optioned for a short film.
- The reach of my writing started to move out from the Ohio area to the rest of the country and now beginning to pick up steam overseas.
- A short story collection was completed and sent to the publisher for consideration (still awaiting word on this).
- Completed a novella about a ‘doctor that makes a house call’ which will be one of three novellas written by three horror authors and packaged into one book.
- And other various business and personal happens – some were not so good and some turned out great!
All of this makes me think about the upcoming year and what I want to have accomplished when the big ’33’ comes around in 2010.
My goals (as far as writing is concerned) are as follows:
- Finish my novel-in-progress that I had to put on the back burner when Night School was accepted for publication (it is about a classic monster with a vary unique twist and parts of it are probably some of the most hardcore and best written stuff I have ever done).
- Continue to pitch movie ideas to a certain major film studio.
- Watch the short film (based on my short story) ‘Cake Batter’ come to life on the screen after it is finished shooting in the coming months.
- Continue to work with Shadetree Films to produce more short stories and potentially a feature length film.
- Besides finishing the aforementioned monster novel, I would also like to write two additional novels on top of that.
- Would like to see the short story collection picked up. If not, I will more than likely break apart a great collection and begin to submit them individually to various magazines.
- Submit the 3-novella book to publishers and hopefully get it picked up.
- And I’m sure there will be a few short stories and maybe another novella mixed in there as well.
Whew! Sounds like a lot of work ahead of me, huh?! Well, perhaps it is. But, I also know that I need to start pushing myself harder than ever and really start to turn out some material over a relatively short period of time.
Those are my thoughts for now. And since I’ve heard from a few of you about getting/sending me something for my birthday, feel free to shoot me an email and depending on what it is (ha ha), I’ll respond with my mailing address.
2 thoughts on “A Yearly Ritual”
That does sound like a big pile of cool. Good stuff.
Wow, sounds cool, mate. Bravo.